Here in the high desert, we are faced with several challenges regarding our soil. Our soil is composed of mostly sand which has a very low cation exchange capacity (ability to store nutrients). Due to subdivision construction the majority of our soil is also very compacted. With low rainfall and high temperatures in the growing season we are forced to irrigate. As a result of all of these conditions, our soil is lacking even minimal microbial life. The Accelerated Organics seasonal program has many local benefits:
- Runoff is safe for waterways
- Reduction in application of synthetics
- Less mowing/fossil fuel consumption
- Increased water retention of soil
- Active soil food webs
- Organic food production
- Wildlife attraction
- Safety of children and pets
- Improved soil quality and fertility
- Increased aesthetics
- pH control
- Root growth enhancement
- Education regarding sustainable landscaping
- Organic breakdown of lawn waste
- Increased soil structure through topdressings of compost
On top of all these important benefits, the main concept behind our program is to stop the endless cycle of traditional landscaping. With current practices there is a dependence on synthetics for everything from keeping grass green to controlling pest issues. We are offering a way to create a closed loop system and work towards a feasible goal. By restoring the soil food web and changing the soil composition we are able to provide impressive results that are continuous year after year with minimal upkeep and amendments. Think about it this way; no one fertilizes an old growth forest, the ecosystem is successful because of its soil contents.
Once the system is fully in motion:
- Bacteria will rapidly consume grass clippings, returning nutrients back into the soil.
- Beneficial Fungi will fight off disease pathogens, and connect its fungal network to all plants, transferring nutrients and water as needed, supporting weaker areas of the landscape.
- Beneficial Nematodes will consume invasive pest larvae, naturally controlling adult pests.
- Bio-Char will increase water retention and cation exchange capacity, thus improving soil fertility.